Life is a combination of Happiness and Pasta!!
Don’t you agree, I mean who doesn’t like a well made bowl of pasta, a true comfort food isn’t it?
I love simple, fresh foods and I love fresh pasta. A little labor intensive, however one bite and you will agree, it is all worth it. Fresh pasta is a combination of labor and love, and I enjoy the process of making it.
So without further delay, here is the process of fresh semolina pasta from scratch
- Semolina- 2 cups for dough and half cup for working the dough
- Eggs- 3 large
- Salt- As per taste
- On the clean kitchen surface put 2 cups of Semolina
- Mix the salt for seasoning
- Make a well in middle and crack the eggs, all three
- Using a fork, start incorporating the flour with eggs
- Once the whole egg and flour are mixed, its time to start kneading the dough
- The dough will be a bit wet at the moment which will be alright after the kneading, use the extra flour for dusting during kneading. (If the dough is dry, add a bit water, little by little as needed)
- Knead the dough to the elastic consistency, that when you poke it, it bounces back
- Wrap it in a cling film and put in fridge for resting, minimum half hour
- After the dough has rested take it out and cut it into 2 equal parts, place one part back in the cling film completely covered
- Take the second part and start rolling, dust the kitchen surface with flour and start rolling. Make sure you put equal pressure throughout so as to achieve similar thinness throughout
- Roll the dough into a thin sheet, you should be able to see your hand when you put it under the sheet
- Once the desired thinness is reached, put flour on upper side of the sheet and start rolling from both the sides
- Start cutting it into strips and then cut the strips into equal squares
- Now shaping into the tubular garganelli- Take the square and put it diagonally, put the chopstick or pencil (I used pencil) on one corner of the square and start rolling the pencil/chopstick till the other diagonal end, giving the tubular shape of garganelli to it
- Garganelli is ready, enjoy it with a more traditional ragu or in my case a simple tomato sauce